ACTC Academy Curriculum
This is a basic course of study presented over 12 weeks. Topics will be introduced and then the student will practice and demonstrate understanding and competence. Topics are reviewed in later sessions and, for some topics, additional details will be presented. Lesson plans are provided, but may be modified to suit current needs of the students and occasions. Students have the responsibility to ask questions when the information presented is unclear or insufficient. Students should feel free to ask questions on any topic not covered.
- Understanding of California Vehicle Code as it applies to bicycles.
- Riding in traffic
- Group riding safety and etiquette
- Descending and climbing techniques
- Taking the lane on narrow roads
- How to adjust helmet for proper fit.
- Size and fit of bike.
- Guide to selecting the right kind of bike for your intended use.
- Saddles: types, adjustment
- Gears-understanding how gears work. Making a gear chart.
- Tools to have on a ride and those nice to have at home.
- Clothing and shoes
- Types of pedals
- Accessories: mirrors, computers, bags etc.
- How to fix a flat, remove and replace wheels
- Lights and Reflectors (for night riding)
- Maintenance of bicycle: cleaning, chain care, etc.
- Minor brake adjustments
- Minor Derailleur Adjusting
- Bike security – locks and safety.
Fitness and Health
- Keeping a journal
- Aerobic heart rate
- Nutrition and how to eat
- Hydration and hydration systems
- How to build endurance
- How to increase strength
Skills and Techniques
- How to “start” the bike.
- Pedaling rhythm/cadence
- Holding your line
- Shifting effectively
- Proper lane position.
- Changing lanes safely
- Left turns - from left turn lane and box style
- Cornering system
- Climbing and descending
- Using momentum on rollers
- Starting and stopping smoothly and effectively
- Emergency maneuvers – Quick Stop.
- Riding in the rain.
- Riding at night
Almaden Cycle Touring Club
- History of Club
- ACTC Newsletter
- Understanding ride listings and ratings
- Billy Goats
- Grizzly Bears
- Mountain Goats
- Special rides and events: Tierra Bella, Sierra to the Sea, GWBR, RRR, etc.
- How to be a good club rider
- How to be a good ride leader
- How to subscribe to ACTC list
- ACTC web site: www.actc.org
This page was last updated on September 26, 2016 If you have any suggestions and/or comments regarding this website please contact the ACTC WebMaster.